In May this year the NSW Government announced a $45 million package to protect koalas, including measures to protect important koala habitat in areas on the mid north coast. It’s a great reason to celebrate, and the 2018 ‘Hello Koalas’ festival in June is just the occasion.
Now in its second year, the Port Macquarie festival is the only event in the world dedicated to koalas. Kicking off on 7th June and running over five days, the festival includes various koala-related events and activities, with a focus on raising funds for the valuable work of the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
Festival highlights include:
- Koala hospital tours
- Koala-themed high tea and picnic
- A ‘Cars and Coffee’ event which includes a display of unique, colourful and classic cars as well as live bands, food and children’s activities
- A dance party featuring well-known Abba tribute band, Mammamia
- A two day ‘Caring For Our Koalas’ conference for those interested in koala conservation
- Koala-focused foreshore markets
- Landcare farm gate tours
While enjoying the festival, why not also take the opportunity to check out the award-winning Hello Koalas trail, one of the region’s most well-known art attractions. The trail features 62 one-metre high koala sculptures scattered throughout the Port Macquarie district. Each koala was hand-painted by a local artist, and the koalas can be found from the mountains right down to the sea. It’s a great way to tour the area while enjoying a koala treasure hunt.
Your Port Macquarie accommodation at Northpoint is the perfect, centrally-located spot to enjoy the various festival offerings – and you’ll find several koala sculptures almost on your doorstep!